Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My First Posting!






I plan on adding my bride's facial expression as her full personality develops.  I know she will be very happy if the right groom appears!

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Labels, last step....


  

This post is about the labels....I used a product called C. Jenkins freezer paper sheets, 50 sheets 8.5 x 11" and used white cotton.  I ironed the white fabric to freezer paper then trimmed each sheet precisely with rotary cutter.     I scanned a picture from one of my books showing the Civil War Bride quilt along with a picture of the paper templates.  I typed general information about this quilt I found in the book along with my thoughts about the quilt which is on another sheet.  Last sheet I had problems getting it the way I wanted, label with my personal info.  I finally just printed it out on copy paper full size picture of my quilt then laid my typed info onto this and then printed onto freezer paper.  The color of my quilt is horrible and not anywhere near the true colors but I got so tired messing with it I just left it that way and printed it. 
                                                                

Friday, April 18, 2014

FINISHED



I finished this quilt last Saturday afternoon.  I used just over 1200 yards of thread and was quilting anywhere from 5 to 10 hours a day to get it done.  I added top stitching to all the larger applique pieces and went back and added a line between which now makes the lines about 1/2" apart.  I still need to make my label but need to buy special fabric paper to run it thru my printer.  I'm sure I will find it in Paducah when I go next week. I will post my label when I have it done as I'm planning on putting the picture of the original quilt and the templates, plus my own info.  It has been a fun journey.....now onto my next applique project.

Friday, April 4, 2014

MY PROGRESS

I had set my first goal for April 1st to being done.  I'm close as of last night I finished the binding and put on the sleeve so I could see how it hangs.  It took me 4 weeks to do the blocks then took 3 weeks off for a trip then another 4 weeks to do the borders.  I have used all of a 1000 yard thread spool and have lots more to do.  I left something to do on each block, (like top stitching on top of the birds) but have completely finished the borders.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I am happy. I have finished the next two blocks.

First my bride...

She is a little bit pale in her face but she seems to be happy...

and the pigeon with the grapes
This was a nice block to make. It was fun to stitch the single grapes and I like the colours especially the purple very much.

Have a nice day!
Manuela

Monday, February 17, 2014

It has been a long time since I posted my first block. But today I can show you the second one an the third one is already on the way!!!!!
Best wishes! Manuela

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My kind of appliqué.

I had only two blocks left so I finally picked up my quilt last week and finished them.  I thought you might like to see how they turned out.  Those of you that hand turn your appliqué are amazing and the amount of time and talent you put into your quilts is incredible.  Unfortunately I don't have the fortitude to do such lovely work!

I have learned the art of machine appliqué instead.  A while back, I purchased a new Husqvarna Platinum machine that makes such a beautiful stitch, I thought I'd attempt this new method (to me) and now I am hooked.
These are just a few of the squares and a close up of some of my stitching.

I plan to make it into a wall hanging so it won't be put in the wash.  I used a shadow box and a sharp pencil for tracing, "Lite Steam-a-Seam" 2 to fuse and that nifty bias strip maker for various stems.

Since I am from North Dakota I embellished the bride's block with prairie roses and corn and a Scandinavian girl who loves to bake.  I will post more blocks later, in the meantime I hope you enjoy this simpler method of appliqué...