Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Civil War Bride Quilt # 1/20

One of my purchases from the Quilt and Craft Fair in July was the Civil War Bride Quilt pattern. I did not intend to start for a long time, but since then I discovered that Lizzie has started a blog dedicated to the Civil War Bride quilt. I have been checking the progress of everyone and would very much like to join in. Here is my block 1/20 in progress. I intend to use only fabric from my stash. I think I might have enough background fabric, but if not I will use different fabric for that. I don't think they were too fussy about what fabric they used during the Civil War in 1860.
To motivate myself and to get started with this quilt, I have got a book out from the library on Women and Civil War by Louise Chipley Slavicek 2009. It was fascinating to read that Mary Edwards Walker was the first woman to wear trousers during the Civil War in 1860. I hope that somewhere in this book there will be something about quilts. I will keep you posted if I come across it.
I just want to show you this beautiful old tin I am using to keep all the applique pieces together. It is in keeping with the period. I hope you enjoy this post with a bit of history. I hope to learn more about the Civil War by the time I finish this quilt.
http://notjustnat.blogspot.com

11 comments:

  1. Working along with other people will keep you motivated. I ordered the pattern but I don't know that I will be starting any time soon. And I don't know when the pattern will arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post Natima, thank you! your block is lovely, the colours and background fabric look beautiful. Your photography is also very good! Look forward to hearing more from your book. I also have a umber of Civil War books and am fascinated with the history of women and quilts! Best wishes, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natima, I am working on a civil war quilt too, but a different one! I have one block done (it's all by hand) and loving doing it! I will post a picture soon! I love reading about the history of the civil war!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog made me want to start sooner rather than later too. We are all so grateful for this blog!! Your block is really coming along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so wonderful to have a blog like this to share our progress and encourage each other on. Thanks for sharing some of the history Natima, so interesting. I love your tin, and your block is looking great already. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Cathy: Thanks Cathy for your comment. I agree with you on our CWB quilts. They are already looking great and we have Lizzie to thanks for starting up this blog for us to share our creations - Hugs Natima

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great opportunity to share and motivate through a blog! I'm loving the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this project. I will follow with interest. I have moved close to some of the Civil war battlefields and hope to make my own Civil war quilt someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to do this quilt for quite some time now. Since my quilts take 30-50 years to do, I better start now (I am 36 years old now, so it just may get done in time to bury me with it!) Great blog. Hop over to mine sometime for a little giggle or out of complete boredom. www.buttoncounter.blogspot.com

    new friend,

    Monica Nauert

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG...now I want to go ahead and get this pattern!!! ...and I have several applique projects going on at one time now...this is sooo pretty. Did anyone buy the starter fabric quilt kit for this quilt pattern or are you all using your fabrics from your stash. Just buying the pattern now wouldn't be as bad money wise and using your own fabric stash. I worry about it not looking the same as the pic if you don't use like fabrics:o( My passion is hand applique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I would love to join the blog at some point. I have just purchased the pattern today. I am becoming addicted to quilting again. It is great to see other people's ideas I too will use my stash as I need to have a use for it in the future lol instead of buying more fabric which I can't resist.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............