Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kaffe civil war

Ok Lurline...you asked for it!!! (I'm loving your block 5 by the way!). Here's my first block. Of course I had to do it in Kaffe fabrics!! And I had to use Kaffe's shot cotton in thunder for the background. Could be a bit weird. Probably will be too bright. But hey! I've got enough needleturn applique on the go at the moment so I have decided to do this quilt using raw edge applique. I'm fusing the fabric onto the blocks first, then will sew the blocks together to make the quilt top. Once I have the 3 layers pinned together (quilt top, wadding and quilt back), I will then machine applique using a darning foot around each shape to attach them, this will also become the quilting. Never done it before so if anyone has any tips feel free to pass them on. I'm loving seeing these blocks come together, who is posting theirs next? xo

11 comments:

  1. Wow, am I ever glad I gave you a little nudge! Cathy, this is just fabulous - how creative are you? Not only using Kaffe fabrics, which I adore, but also with your courage to try a totally new technique applique/quilting! You will succeed and oh, my goodness, we are going to hear a lot about you in time to come. Go, Girlfriend!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and I don't think it's weird. Can't wait to see more blocks - Hugs Natima

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Cathy, it looks fabulous. I love it. I did a cushion with that method you are describing. Depending on the stitch you use around the edges, you could trapunto some shapes so it's not so flat looking. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful!
    wow what a different look this quilt will have
    I am so happy to see others choosing different fabrics than the original quilt
    will make the quilt more our own quilt
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love those colours :-)
    I was badly influenced by Steph today in Hetties Patch and walked out with quite a few of Kaffe's Fabrics. They are just so luscious
    Cheers
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy the blocks look fabulous. I'm all for using contemporary fabrics in repro quilts, and what better fabrics to use than Kaffe's. Good luck, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Cathy, you certainly livened up our blog!! I love your fabrics and that background is awesome, I've said it before ~ you're a clever lady and have such a great eye for colour.
    Lizzie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I didn't even have to scroll down to the bottom of this post to see who's block it was! LOL I love it Cathy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just stunning! Very clever and creative. Will be a unique quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This updated look is going to look great!I can hardly wait to see your upcoming blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I'm loving your contemporary interpretation of these wonderful blocks! Ann.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............