Friday, August 28, 2009

Selecting the all important background fabric

Hello everyone, I am excited to be a part of this blog. When this pattern arrived in the post, I rushed out and bought two suitable backgrounds straight away (totally over ruling my existing ‘stash buster first’ policy)…Now that I’m at home in my studio, I’m having second thoughts about the background fabric. It looks a bit dull and flat, so I can’t start until this issue is sorted. The background is so important that I can’t move forward until I am happy. I’m thinking of maybe using the back of the fabric which is a nice dull tea dyed look. I really don’t know what way I will go with this quilt. I do have an instinctive feeling for red and making it different in this way…however print are so charming….dilemma!!! There are some great examples here….so I will make a decision (or maybe just flip a coin) and get into it. Til next time.... Esther

4 comments:

  1. Hi Esther, the fabric on the right in your photo is very similar to the original fabric on the Threadbear quilt, not much in it all. It's such a busy quilt that the background needs to be right I agree. Did you see the quilt at the Quilt Fair? Glad you've joined us and looking forward to seeing your first block.
    Lizzie
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both backgrounds are nice, Esther, so just go for one and your quilt will be beautiful!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both backgrounds look great...there isn't alot of background showing on the quilt but I agree the background is everything...good luck on your final decision! I look forward to seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited this famous Album is being reproduced widely!! Elly Sienkiewicz, The Appliqué Academy®

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............