Saturday, September 12, 2009

Block one is well on the way :-)

Block1wbest

After a few hiccups I have block one of my  Civil War Bride Quilt well on the way. I am using Stitch N Wash Fusible Water soluble tearaway a Floriani Product. This is the technique used by Mariya Waters. Here is the explanation in a PDF document  Turned edge Applique . I am finding it a lot quicker. I adapted various applique methods I have read about incorporating this product. It does wash nice and soft. I do plan to wash each block as I go along before I put the quilt together. I am usually a non washer of fabrics and have been a good girl and washed all the fabrics before starting my applique.

I have used a washable pencil and a lightbox to draw pattern on the other side of my muslin.

Block1prepBest

Stay Tune for the hopefully completed block by the end of the weekend. I need to make My Nearly Insane block for this week too. Am a little behind the 8 ball but will get there :-)

Cheers Lynne

8 comments:

  1. Looking good, Lynne and such an interesting way to applique - hope the weekend brings a lot more to show and tell!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful Lynne. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to read over your technique...loving the block!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work so far. I heard Mariya Waters speak recently at a quilt-in, and I asked her about that product. At the moment I use regular American freezer paper, and cut a slit to remove it from the back. I will give the Floriani stuff a try at some stage, but I haven't had time to stop and take a break! I just want to make the next block!!

    Congratulations on your start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice block so far and thanks for sharing the technique with us. I have not heard of the product before. I like your colors too. Looking forward to see it finished - hugs Natima

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting technique. I have just needle turned the first of 4 ostrich legs. I be thinking wash away might me easier for fiddly bits. Thanks for the tutorial.

    The block is looking good and I recognise some of the fabrics sooo good to see others delving into their stash.

    Happy stitching Terry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Lynne, I haven't heard of that method, so thank you for the link xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............