Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Four Corners Done!

Isn't there lots of applique here? My mock-up block, top right seemed to look a bit empty and too tidy, so what to do - fill it up with leaves as we have all found out - and pears! I feel it has worked and somehow looks like it belongs! Maybe I will have to do more than 9 blocks, there is so many more I want to do - perhaps 16 and quilt-as-you-go. I have loved doing every stitch so far and have just posted on Lurline's Place, my method of making nice, fine stems - it is a long, long time since I have used bias bars or a bias maker! We all have our favourite techniques, so to each his own, it is all about whatever suits you best! So onto the next block - the grapes and bird! This is how I do my circles, and the fabric is Kaffe's shot cotton - I thought it may fray like crazy, but it is really beautiful to work with. There is a great array of colours in this range and I think I will add a few more to my stash - just 20cm pieces will be fine!
It is a shame we can't get all our repros in lovely fine weaves like the batiks and Kaffe's, so nice to use for applique - never mind, there's a lot of beautiful prints to go into our piecing, I guess!
Happy stitching, Girls - hugs - Lurline♥

6 comments:

  1. Lurline, those blocks are beautiful and the colours work so well together, the lighter background really makes the colours sing together. You can't possibly stop at nine, it's going to be fabulous! Quilt as you go sounds like the way to do it for you, would be easier on your arm and shoulder wouldn't it?
    Lizzie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love the grapes block. I didn't like it at first, but the more I look at it the more I like it. Enjoy go round and round the grapes - Hugs Natima

    ReplyDelete
  3. good morning lurline,wonderful urn-blocks are this ,and the one you made fits perfectly,happy stitching,susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love, love, love all your lovely urn blocks!! Your original design looks fantastic with all the others (your colorful blossoms and perky pears really balance all the other fruits and flowers). I thought I would peek at this blog before leaving to work at the quilt shop today, and your inspiration will have me dreaming all day about this project! (I work part time at my local shop, The Quilting Season, in Saline, Michigan.)

    I have been happily working on the bride...everything is turned under, placed, and "glued" down with Roxanne's Glue-Baste...now I need a little time to stitch things down so that I can share the finished product. I've been working on finishing some U.F.O.'s (see FABRIC THERAPY link on this blog), when all I really want to be working on is this project!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm Food for thought. I do like the idea of QAYG.
    A gentle journey instead of a huge undertaking at the end.
    Just love those grapes. The colours are gorgeous.
    Cheers
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. That a girl Lurline! Go for sixteen blocks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............