Yeah...my first block!! I still have a few leaves to stitch down, but I was so close to being done that I just had to snap a picture and join the party!
I ended up choosing a Maywood "shadowplay" as my background. I thought it looked aged, but it made me have to rethink my block fabric choices. Originally, I thought I would lean toward a disciplined, sedate, repro look, but now I'm finding that brighter and deeper colors are going to be best with this background. The Sassafras leaves in the top corners are borderline too close to the background (not enough contrast), but I was looking to de-emphasize them, so I guess it worked.
I was the one who was contemplating making the blocks slightly larger. Once I started laying out my turned-under pieces, I decided to stick with the program and make the blocks 11 x 14 inches. If later, busier blocks make me feel claustrophobic, I'll leave out a leaf or something. :o)
I have picked out fabrics (and ironed on freezer paper!) for blocks 2 and 3. Now I need a little time to play!!