Saturday, September 26, 2009

I'm ready to join the block party!!



Yeah...my first block!!  I still have a few leaves to stitch down, but I was so close to being done that I just had to snap a picture and join the party!

I ended up choosing a Maywood "shadowplay" as my background.  I thought it looked aged, but it made me have to rethink my block fabric choices.  Originally, I thought I would lean toward a disciplined, sedate, repro look, but now I'm finding that brighter and deeper colors are going to be best with this background.  The Sassafras leaves in the top corners are borderline too close to the background (not enough contrast), but I was looking to de-emphasize them, so I guess it worked.

I was the one who was contemplating making the blocks slightly larger.  Once I started laying out my turned-under pieces, I decided to stick with the program and make the blocks 11 x 14 inches.  If later, busier blocks make me feel claustrophobic, I'll leave out a leaf or something.   :o)

I have picked out fabrics (and ironed on freezer paper!) for blocks 2 and 3.  Now I need a little time to play!!

In stitches,
Teresa  :o)


10 comments:

  1. Teresa
    I just looked up your profile. I'm an EMU grad who has lived in Australia for over 35 years. Small world this quilting Blog stuff.
    Like your fabric choice and the sassafras leaves to fade. Well done

    Happing stitching to all Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa, congratulations on your first block completed. I love your colors. I like your background too, good choice. Welcome to the party. Looking forward to more blocks - Hugs Natima

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teresa, glad that you've come out to play! I like your background, sort of smokey effect! The colours look great and the leaf/bird does blend in well. I'm still leaning towards a hummingbird, but whatever it is, it looks pretty good.
    Lizzie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teresa
    Love your block.
    Love the Beacon hill Pot-Perfect. So are those rosy red apples. I have nearly finished B1 Have prepared B2 and have traced the outline on B4. Not ready for the bride yet. Will do her later. I like Lizzie am leaning towards a humming bird
    Cheers Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your urn fabric. Your colours certainly have the right kind of zing. The quilters of old knew how to add something with a bit of sparkle to their fabric choices. We mustn't let ourselves think they all used pale "blendy" prints.

    Congratulations, and welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Teresa...well done...your block looks fantastic. Love your color choices...yummy background!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful block Teresa and I love the background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's your first block? It is beautiful! Love the bright colors on that background. Wonderful choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely clear colours. The background looks really great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............