Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Progress on Bird!

Hi Girls ... back again! I've had a few queries about how I have done the applique on this block, so thought I would show you. I played about yesterday and did some stitching last night, so we can well and truly see where this block is going. See below - I did the tail first by overlaying it on freezer paper, shiny side up and pressing the edges over with a fairly hot iron. I like this method of applique as it gives one the freedom of movement with placing the pieces to achieve a layout that is pleasing to the eye. I have removed the freezer paper from the tail, but it is still on the upturned wing - I will make a little opening on the back of my work to remove the freezer paper.
The legs - as I said this is a Kim McLean look-alike bird so they are two sticks sort of, with feet hidden - will be much clearer when stitched. I wasn't keen on the clumsy feet in the pattern, but that is very much a personal thing!
I really love this block, my favourite, and it is what I imagined in my mind's eye - I am happy to share, probably with Lizzie's help. I have been prepared to fiddle and fuss, maybe a little bit silly to some, but to me it is the focal point of the quilt!
Still lots of stitching to do, but that's okay, maybe just a few quiet evenings needed!
'Bye for now - hugs - Lurline♥

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Lurline for explaining all that, I'm sure a few of us were envious of your excellent depiction of the quilts (original anyway) namesake. It will be fabulous if you can work out the bird pattern but I know you have other things to tend to this week so please know that we are all happy to have it but are also happy to wait for such a handsome specimen! Take care and have a good week.
    Lizzie
    XXX
    http://nanalizzie.blogspot.com/
    http://thecivilwarbridequilt.blogspot.com/
    http://nanalizzies-kitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! And thank you so much for the insight. Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lurline, for sharing the applique technique with us. The block is getting very lovely. I like the colourful tails. Have fun with the rest of it - Hugs Natima

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bird Lurline! Interesting feet. I just stitched each feather one at a time to the background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lurline that is just beautiful.

    cheers
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your bird ,lurline,beautiful fabrics,have a nice day,susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is block is very nice...compliments...
    Hugs
    DENI

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exquisite! What a handsome bird! Thanks you for sharing how you did your applique. I found it very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............