Saturday, November 7, 2009

Back Basting

How exciting ~ I got comments on my blog post! Can you tell I'm a newbee? Anyway, most of the comments said you had not heard of back basting. It is a little hard to explain so here are a few links to some back basting tutorials that might help explain. http://www.appleblossomquilts.com/tips/backBasting/index.jsp http://sentimentalstitches.net/instructions/back-basting-tutorial-for-hand-applique/ http://decafplease.wordpress.com/back-basting-tutorial-single-layer/ Basically, you trace the pattern on the wrong side of the background fabric, then baste the applique fabric on the right side of the background fabric, then trim the seam allowance, then applique! Check out the tutorials cuz I am sure my explanation is hard to follow... Teresa / IL

7 comments:

  1. I love back basting!! I love that it is accurate and fast - trace the design once on the back of the background fabric and that is it! No overlays, no templates - aren't you interested too? Another site with good tutorials is: www.allaboutapplique.net - give it a try, it takes a little getting used to but I think you will like it. One tip - make your basting stitches small - it helps keep the fabric smooth and gives you more control. Sue in Florida who is starting CWDQ soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue
    I just traced block #2 and it took me 10 minutes! Now to pull some fabrics for the applique Teresa / IL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never seen that method before. Thanks for the great tutorial links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this I've never used it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must check out the links - I have not heard of it!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just heard of this recently but hadn't tried it yet........I will give it a try sometime soon. Thanks for the good links, too. (And thanks for visiting my blog....that's how I found yours!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............