I went a little rogue with this block, re-designing his body, beak, legs, tail, tree, leaves, fruit...OK, I guess I went more than a little rogue. I was thinking more of our "pet peacock" from my childhood, named Henry - really, more a run-away from the Birmingham, Alabama Zoo, which was through the woods from our house.
Anyway, I completely lost my mind with the little leaves...63 of them! After the bird turned out so bright (actual colors of our bird), I thought the more drab leaves and tree would tone things down a bit. My darker background helps tone down my love of lime-green fabric, as well.
So my showy peacock is setting up a "battle of the birds" on my quilt top - I've been working on the Bird of Paradise as well. I was so taken with Lurline's BOP, that I also decided to re-draw the body and add a head plume. I chose blacks, purples, golds, and reds. I have not stitched him together yet, but he's been loosely glue-basted, and I can't wait to dig in now that the peacock is done!
I told you that I had been a little "bird-brained!"
Remember I have OCD...after 6 blocks finished, I have done 186 leaves, 43 pieces of fruit/veg, 23 flowers, 2 people and 1 big bird!