Saturday, December 19, 2009

It's been a good month for firsts

Can you believe it?  Three of us have completed our first blocks this month, Paula, Jan Mac, and now me.  This is my first completed applique block... ever.  I give credit to the fantastic tutorials and tips I learned in blog-land and on the internet, as well as some great books and DVDs.  I'm loving applique.




After showing you 6 choices for the base of block 5, what did I pick?  None of them.  :-)

I REALLY enjoyed hearing your opinions and sincerely appreciated the feedback!  It certainly proved that there isn't a right answer, as every choice had at least one "vote".  It helped to ask you, my friends... I learn so much from each of you.

My original choice, when I began the block, was fabric #5.  But towards the end I knew it wasn't working the way I'd hoped.  I liked the pattern on #4 and it had the look I wanted, but it felt like it might be too much green.  Number 6 was my second choice.  The color felt like it kept the attention on the flowers and basket and still grounded the block, but I didn't care for the pattern in the fabric. What to do?  Go shopping, of course!  I visited a couple of quilt shops and found a hybrid... it combines the color from #6 with a pattern that feels like #4. 



Last night I shared it with the ladies in my neighborhood book club.  The gals liked running their fingers on the stems.  Funny.  Well I had to try it too.  It does feel neat. :-)

I'm itching to move to the next block, but have a little thing called Christmas that I need to focus on first.  Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings to everyone!  It's a gift to belong to this group and have so many people that enjoy watching the journey with us.

14 comments:

  1. A beautiful block,Beth,and I look forward to seeing more in the months to come. I've decided not to worry too much about fabric choices for each block as when combined the overall look of the quilt will be fabulous. When I get too anxious about what to use I just think back to quilts I've seen, like Corliss's quilt and realize that there is so much to admire about them that I never focus on a particular block or colour, as long as the overall theme is constant. I also remind myself of this when I find a grape circle is a bit too big or a leaf is in a different position than the pattern. I think we are more critical of our work than we need to be, or at least I am, and I'm trying not to stress over my choices.
    I hope you have a pieceful festive season and more time to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your block looks fantastic! I can't believe that this is your first block. I so wish now that I had gotten this pattern, but ordered Phebe instead. Perhaps after the holidays I'll buy CWBQ after the Xmas bills are paid off. You've done a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally love it....great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your choice is great,i am really looking forward to your next block,well done,susi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely choice of fabrics! It's become a great block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful block Beth. You color choice is just perfect. Can't wait to see more - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan, your advice is very helpful. I need to remember to "step back" and remember it's about the whole. You're right, this big quilt should give us freedom from stressing too much. I'm also working on trusting my instinct. Good advice...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It `s frumos ... foarte, foarte frumos ...
    I `m appliqué iubitoare.

    hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it`s beautiful..very very nice...
    i`m loving applique.
    hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippee for Beth Karese,

    Great first block...you, Jan, and Paula are amazing to crank out blocks this close to the big day!!

    I love your fabric choices, and you are right!! There are no wrong choices! It's hard to believe that this is your first applique block...great work!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. it`s really an awesome block!Love your fabrics.It`s hard to believe that this is your first aplique block.Well done!!Can´t wait to see more.Congrats.

    Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. congratulations on this beautiful block, Loved reading how it came about, and how you came to choose the final colours, well done and Merry Christmas to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am 2/3 ofthe way through block 5. Yours looks so wonderful. It makes me want to put everythings else aside and just finish it. Hopefully that will happen soon. If this is your first block, cannot wait to see the rest. :-)
    Keep having fun, Beth
    Cheers
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your choice of fabrics. What are you using for your background?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............