Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My First Block Too

Firstly thank you Lizzie for starting this blog where can share our journey with making this fabulous quilt as well as being inspired by all your lovely blocks. I feel very fortunate to have found so many friends with a love of applique. I bought the pattern a couple of weeks ago when I visited Corliss's shop in Castlemaine and of course I fell in love with the quilt when I saw it up close. I bought 3 different fabrics for the backgrounds and a separate one for the borders, partly because they didn't have enough fabric for the whole quilt but also because I like to have a varied background. They are all very similar shades of a light tan and some have a flower motif. The border fabric has more of a print which should show well with less applique. I started block number 1 first like many others here and I didn't like my colour choice so much while working with it, but I'm happy with it now it's finished. I'm half way through block 4 now and I'm loving the process. I live a couple of hours away from Castlemaine, just near Shepparton, in Victoria, and spend most of my time making quilts to donate. I've just been very busy making and co-ordinating quilts to be distributed to the areas devastated by bush fires here in Victoria and now the hot weather is here again I've decided to get back into appliquing a quilt for me. I give most of my quilts away but I love the civil war repros and the applique patterns from that era so I'm going to enjoy the journey with you all. My other blogs are http://sewmanyquiltstoolittletime.blogspot.com and http://ozcomfortquilts.blogspot.com Hope to show another photo of a finished block soon. Hugs Jan Mac

9 comments:

  1. hello,jan mac,your first block looks great,love the fabrics you choose,welcome to the blog,happy stitching,susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan, welcome to CWB blog. I'm sure you will enjoy it here with us. Your first block is fabulous. Teal blue for flowers is perfect. Block four is fun and it was my favorite block to appliqué so far. Enjoy and Merry Christmas - Hugs Natima

    ReplyDelete
  3. JM..I don't see anything I don't like about the block!! it is awesome..I will be starting in the new year..(yes counting)
    have been trying to finish my other stuff so that I can concentrate on CWBQ...I'm so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome again Jan, great block and lovely colours. I've listed your personal blog on the sidebar so we can all keep check with what else you are up to!
    Have a great week.
    Lizzie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jan, your block looks great and beautiful colours, looking forward seeing your next one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    e um trabalho maravilhoso,adoreiiiiiiii
    kisses
    Ariadne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely first block Jan! I like the idea of varied background blocks. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome aboard Jan! Lovely first block with lovely fabrics (especially your urn). I love scrappy backgrounds as well, mostly because I hate making decisions...I look forward to seeing how things will play out!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings Jan Mac! Your block is lovely! I like the way you picked up the urn colors with the flowers and apples. Lucky you to be able to see the "orginal" in person.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............