Friday, January 22, 2010

And The Journey Begins…

As soon as I saw it, I knew it was something I just had to make . 

civilwarbrideBwm

I put off ordering the pattern until all my other commitments had been fulfilled.  At the end of November when I could finally see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel, I placed the order for the pattern.  Two weeks later, it arrived from Australia and I promptly set it aside until  just yesterday.  That’s when I took it out and I can now say that finally the journey of creating my version of the Civil War Bride Quilt has begun.

29156805_p

Even before I ordered the pattern, I knew I was going to make one major change.  Rather than complete the quilt in the traditional needle turn applique method, I decided that I was going to do mine in wool on cotton. 

Last night I cut out the required number of blocks and this morning, I cut out the wool shapes…

DSCN1446

and affixed them to the background fabric using Steam-A-Seam 2.

DSCN1447

Later tonight, the fun part begins…the stitching.  I don’t know about you but I cannot sit in front of the television with idle hands.  Most of my stitching is done in the evening while listening to the television and raising my eyes only when it sounds like something interesting is about to happen.

29156805_p

There are 20 good sized blocks to this quilt plus the four borders.  This is definitely going to be a long term project but I do know one thing for certain…it’s going to be a long journey with many starts and stops along the way.  But I also know that it’s going to be a pleasurable one.

Happy stitching!

Kaaren ♥

9 comments:

  1. What a clever idea to use wool for the applique pieces. I love this quilt and have contemplated starting one, but I have too many projects on my To Do List already that I've been able to resist the temptation. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Kaaren, how fabulous this is going to look in wool, gorgeous. I so love this group, so much diversity in style, fabric, method and women, love, love, love it. Shall be looking forward to hearing from you when the first block is done.
    Lizzie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my dream too! Until i can fulfill mine i will content myself and watch yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome kaaren,looks very good with wool,what an idea,happy stitching,susi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Kaaren...yet another cool twist on this wonderful quilt!

    I can't wait to see it in wool...it should be stunning!

    I agree with Lizzie...the variations on the theme of this quilt makes it a very hip and happening blog!!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doing the blocks with wool will be a new twist to the quilt. Love the idea! Have fun with it and can't wait to see your first block done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to CWBQ. Let's the fun begin! I love your woolen appliqué. It's already gorgeous. Love your color - Hugs Natima

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kaaren,

    These are going to be just beautiful, welcome to the madness! Everyone here is a delight and are always helpful and encouraging.

    Cheers,
    Bobbie
    www.bobbieashley.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hallo Kaaren, your applique is beautiful. How do you applique? Your shapes looks so sharp and crisp, if you know what I mean?
    Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............