Friday, February 5, 2010

Closer and closer...

Four more to go!!  Since the original top/pattern only had 3 urn-type blocks, I decided to follow Lurline's (and other's) lead and draft a fourth urn block.  Daffodils are my husband's favorite flower, and iris are mine.  I like the idea of fruit in every urn block with the flowers and thought that the watermelon slices went well with the slender flower vase.

I thought that one over-powering peacock was quite enough for my quilt, so I substituted our cat, Weasley, for the smaller peacock block.  This will shock and delight my daughter, the ultimate recipient of this quilt.  I like the idea of him escaping to the back yard and grabbing a nap under a flower...nice to think about deep in winter in Michigan.

Here are my 16 blocks on my ugly college blanket...I'm almost through with the 17th block...one that gives homage to our family's love of music.  Then there will be only 3 more!!
I'm starting to think about how I'm going to arrange the top...has anyone else been contemplating a thin sashing between the blocks??  Hmmm...I'm thinking about one...really on the fence about it.  I need to hang a dark piece of fabric on my old blanket and pin the blocks on to see what it would look like.  Even though I have played fast and loose with a few of the blocks, I really don't want to change the overall look of the quilt.  But there is a little part of me that wants a place for the eye to rest.

What do you think??

In stitches,
Teresa  :o)

17 comments:

  1. Oh my! I just love your daffodil and iris urn block! Gorgeous! I love daffodils as well (and irises!) The cat is a great sub as well. Your blocks are all amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These blocks are all so wonderful and the quilt will be a real work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had thought of a very small sashing between the blocks, but everytime I go over to Threadbear and see the original hanging up there I change my mind!! Great colours Teresa, very brave of all you ladies that are following your own tune with this, love it.
    Lizzie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are gorgeous. I love the idea of including your cat. Hugs, Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks are stunning! I adore the cat substitute too, Purrfectly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful blocks. I can't stop looking at them. This is going to be a real work of art when you're finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your urn block - the flowers are gorgeous and the watermelon is perfect for an extra splash of pink :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I'm patiently waiting for my pattern to arrive. Just found this blog last week during a snow that kept me inside. Cannot wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trabalho maravilhoso!!!!!!!!!!!
    congratulations

    kisses

    Ariadne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another two great blocks Theresa, I can't wait to see what you do with the last four blocks. Your needle is really flying. I am thinking this quilt is going to make it into that quilt show you mentioned in a previous post.

    Happy Sewing

    Cheri - who is anxiously watching the mail for her package from Australia...

    ReplyDelete
  11. How gorgeous, I love both of them. Wow the cat! Can I have him/her please? So very cute. Good job Teresa - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your original blocks! It's nice you're adding your family sentiments in your quilt. Keep it up, you're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am gobsmacked, Teresa! so wonderful, so artistic!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. The blocks are very vibrant and the overall look is to die for. Who Ah
    Iwas thinking of a trellis sashing but I'm also thinking less blocks.

    Keeep stitching. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  15. dear teresa,how wonderful,and the cat is a very good idea,this quilt will be very unique,just yours,happy stitching,susi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Teresa, fantastic blocks, both of them, love the cat. Looking forward seeing your block between the bride and the groom :-)

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am drooling! Your block with the watermelons.....oh, so good. I don't know why watermelons in an applique quilt spike my interest so much but they do. I have appliqued a couple of them myself for quilt projects.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............