Wednesday, February 24, 2010

One more to go!

The couple now has a 'love shack' in a vineyard...they like to drink a little wine of their own making.  Thank you Susi for putting the idea of a house in my head.  I wanted more purple in the quilt and grapes seemed like the way to do it.

Only one more block to go...and I think it will be cool.  My BFF, Ola (who suggested the wedding cake), came up with a really neat concept, and between the two of us we've been doodling.  Tonight I finally drew up the final pattern so I hope to start it in the next couple of days.  It will be a family signature block, of sorts, with a twist!

Today I was blessed by the concept of quilting by committee...Ola, "Jonesy" and Beth helped me crudely pin up the blocks and settle two questions: 1) the final layout of the blocks, and 2) to sash or not to sash.  We moved blocks around until we settled on a final formula. 

I have to say I've decided to sash with a very narrow "light black" print (3/4 inch).  I'm going to sleep on it tonight and decide tomorrow if I'm sure.  It's a big decision that will further change the character of this quilt. 

I wasn't going to post the following picture because the blocks are so crudely pinned up, the above block isn't trimmed, the lighting is not good, and we were auditioning sashing fabrics (there are three sloppily pinned up behind the blocks), yadda, yadda, yadda.  I mainly took the picture so that I would remember the order after unpinning them.  Enough excuses...
I'm geeked to get the last block finished, get the blocks sewn together and start the borders.  I'm dying to start hand-quilting it!

In stitches,
Teresa  :o)

10 comments:

  1. Those grapes are gorgeous. The way they hung over as arch way leading to the bride and groom new home! Love it - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh,teresa,what a gorgeous quilt that will be,the grapes around the house is a wonderful idea,i love what you did,so special,hugs,susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so it's happened - I'm speechless!!
    I can't believe that you only have one block to go...........sigh, ..........even bigger sigh. I'm just going to have to cut out sleeping I think, LOL!
    Well done Teresa, gorgeous blocks all of them, can't wait to see what you're hatching for the last one.
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great result which reflects your own history with reference to the original.
    Well Done
    Happy Stitching Terry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa, yet again, a wonderful addition to your quilt. Thank you for sharing your layout in the planning stages, I like reading about your process. Can't wait to see the last block.

    Happy Sewing

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty Teresa! I love all the grapes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa, your block is wonderful. I love the grapes. I can't wait to see your last block!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............