Sunday, February 7, 2010

"The Wall is alive...with the sound of music"

I decided to put a music block in the CWBQ because music is very important to our family.  We all sing and play instruments, but my daughter's instrument, the French horn, is such a beautiful looking horn.  And in keeping with the floral/fruity quality of the other blocks, I added strawberries and TRUMPET VINE...get it??  TRUMPET VINE!  (more music!!!)  LOL 

When I stuck this block up on the design wall with the other 16 blocks, it seemed to overpower.  It doesn't help that the ceiling light was shining right on it more than the other blocks, but I can tell that I am going to have to rearrange things a bit when I get them all done.  I wasn't planning to put it between the bride and groom, but I may have to do that to keep the quilt in balance.  Hmmm...we'll see. 

Maybe I should put it between some darker blocks. Nothing is sewn together yet, so I can play 'musical blocks' once all the blocks are finished.

There is so much detail on the French horn that it was hard to do smaller.  My daughter didn't think I could do all the detail (what can I say...she's 12), so it felt like a personal challenge (what can I say, I'm 12, too, sometimes).  It was easier to draft and aplique than I thought it would be, so now I want to do an applique quilt with all the instruments!!

In stitches,
Teresa  :o)

14 comments:

  1. Your trumpet block looke great Teresa. well done. Hugs, Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! That is just wonderful! I'm loving what you're doing with your quilt! You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it sure is your own quilt Teresa, so bright and individual! As Margaret say's, you are very creative. Love it.
    Lizzie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great horn and good visual pun. I like the addition of the strawberries. It's a very JUNE block.
    You know shortcake, flowers and Pomp and Circumstance.
    Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your block, infact all your blocks, love the colours you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The applique on the horn is beautiful. The reason you are iffy on the block is because the yellow stands out a lot where it is...maybe up top next to the block with the white flowers...but it is definitely a keeper...I really like the way you are making this your quilt, not just a carbon copy of the pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that block. I agree that the yellow is standing out. If moving it does not work and all else fails, maybe you could overdye it just a tad. Of course, then the background will also be a tad darker. You could always overdye a couple of blocks so that it won't stand out. Or maybe just include some more of that brighter yellow in your remaining blocks...Still, it's gorgeous as is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever, very clever.. But the block is outstanding and beautiful.. Love it........
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi i looking only day you blog.... You sewing is very nice block....
    Thanks for look...
    Deni

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! It's nice you're putting things that mean something to you. I'm sure that's how the original quilt top (Bird of Paradise) got started!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where can I get a copy of the pattern you are using? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teresa,

    I just love musical blocks, nothing like rearranging a thousand times until it just sings to you. The blocks all look so wonderful together, great job!

    Blissfully Stitching,
    Bobbie
    www.bobbieashley.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............