I decided to put a music block in the CWBQ because music is very important to our family. We all sing and play instruments, but my daughter's instrument, the French horn, is such a beautiful looking horn. And in keeping with the floral/fruity quality of the other blocks, I added strawberries and TRUMPET VINE...get it?? TRUMPET VINE! (more music!!!) LOL
When I stuck this block up on the design wall with the other 16 blocks, it seemed to overpower. It doesn't help that the ceiling light was shining right on it more than the other blocks, but I can tell that I am going to have to rearrange things a bit when I get them all done. I wasn't planning to put it between the bride and groom, but I may have to do that to keep the quilt in balance. Hmmm...we'll see.
Maybe I should put it between some darker blocks. Nothing is sewn together yet, so I can play 'musical blocks' once all the blocks are finished.
There is so much detail on the French horn that it was hard to do smaller. My daughter didn't think I could do all the detail (what can I say...she's 12), so it felt like a personal challenge (what can I say, I'm 12, too, sometimes). It was easier to draft and aplique than I thought it would be, so now I want to do an applique quilt with all the instruments!!