Saturday, June 5, 2010

Intro and Completed Block (Block #9)

Hi I'm Linda from AZ.  I'm happy to have found this Blog and to be making this beautiful quilt.  I've been reading along for a few months now and have been enjoying the wonderful blocks everyone is making.  I've gotten ideas that appeal to me........like making a groom for my bride.........and lots of inspiration from seeing all of the "eye candy" here. 

A little about me.........I'm retired, live in Glendale, AZ with my husband and our little dog Gizmo.  The best part of my day is when I'm working on a quilt.  I love to applique, well, actually love everything about quilting.  I guess I'm "addicted" to quilting like many of you are.

Since I plan to put this quilt in my front room, I wanted to make it using colors that would work in there.  The main fabric I'm using is a Moda fabric line called Rouenneries. This line is in shades of Turkey Red and grays. It was inspired by French textiles of the 18th century and fits in with the era of the Civil War. I'm also using some Thimbleberries fabric and some reproduction fabric from my stash, and am using muslin for my background in a tea dyed color.

I've made two blocks so far.  I decide to make block #9, the Bird of Paradise Block, first.  I enjoyed making this block, the feet and beak not so much.  Next time I make a block with a bird, I think I'll embroider them instead.  Here is a picture of my block #9.



11 comments:

  1. Welcome again Linda, you certainly like to come in with a bang don't you?? :o)
    Gorgeous first block and I love the Rouenneries, it's lovely to see how many different fabrics we have in our bride quilts.
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi linda,beautiful block,i like the rouenneries very much,happy stitching,susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, another gorgeous block, welcome to the blog, your added embellishing on both blocks is great.
    Happy Stitching
    Cheri
    PS - you did good bird feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Linda...very nice B of P...I love all the fabrics, but especially the one along the bird's back. Your feet look great!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Linda - lovely block! Here's a suggestion for your bird's beak and feet, or any other tiny little piece that just doesn't have room for seam allowance: use ultrasuede, cut to exact size, and applique just like any other piece. No turn under! It's wonderful for those teeny bits.
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the nice welcome everyone. I didn't expect so many comments. What a great group. I appreciate all of your encouragement. Now I know where to come when I'm having a challenging day. I'm excited to be doing this quilt along with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your block Linda. Just love the tail
    Cheers Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fabric choices you've made, particularly the feathery looking back of the bird is really very naturalistic looking... Great job!

    Greetings from Germany,
    Britta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Linda and you did a fine job on the tiny feet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly wonderful, well done. Love the Rouenneries for the feathered look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Linda the block is beautiful, great color choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............