Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bird of Paradise

I am not really sure who is the main character of this quilt, the bride is so important to the quilt's story but the Bird of Paradise is certainly the "showiest". I basted each tail feather over freezer paper and then glued them into place on the block (I generally do my hand applique by back basting). I thought it would be hard to get the freezer paper and all out but it went pretty quickly. The BOP block went so well that...Ta Dah
I got a second block done this month. The fruit block is fun because of the colors. The real find in both of these blocks is ultra suede. (A big thank you to Tresa Jones for the tip and the sample.) The BOP feet and the strawberry tops are both of ultra suede. This is a real discovery for me, no turning under the edge just trace on applique paper (Heat and Bond lite, or my favorite, Steam a Seam 2) iron it onto your block and applique as usual. A little hint, if you use ultra suede remember to turn your iron down from the cotton setting, by BOP feet are a little scorched but he is none the worse for the wear. I am off to start tracing my next block...
Happy Stitching,
Cheri

12 comments:

  1. love your blocks,wonderful work,happy stitching,susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Striking! Yes, the peacock block will be a show stealer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Cheri, such lovely vibrant colours..
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two excellent blocks Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beauties! Loving the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The bird came our perfect! Very beautiful work! Congratulations!

    Greetings from the Rine,
    Britta

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for letting us know how you did it - I was wrecking my mind as to which technique would be best...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheri,

    The block is just an eye catcher. I agree, I too do not know which block is the star of the show. To be honest, I think they all are. Your peacock is gorgeous, love the bright and bouncy colors. Great job!

    Cheers,
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on getting TWO blocks finished in such a short period of time. They are both so pretty. Your BOP's tail is just glorious.

    Okay so you fuse the ulta suede, I get that part. Then what kind of stitch do you use to applique it down? And, does the thread show along the raw edge?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, I just did my regular applique stitch and used the YLI silk I always use, it just blends right in like on needleturn with cotton fabric. I see ultrasuede bird beaks, feet, and maybe even small red berries-if I can get them cut out neatly. Give it a try.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............