Saturday, August 7, 2010

In the Beginning... the CWBQ

I am so excited, and it is fabulous that I get to share the excitement with all of you. I purchased the pattern after finding the CWBQ website last September, but have had other commitments until now and wasn't able to start on it.  Day before yesterday, I decided that this had gone on long enough and decided to go through the stash looking for those fabrics that I had been picking up with this pattern in mind.  These are some of the colors that I found.  I don't know how others do it, but it helps if I pick them out of the stash and put them in a box and look at them for a few days. I have taken 3 out and added about 15 more since this photo, including yellows, golds, and a couple purples. What isn't here are the batiks, I know they are not traditional, but I love them and they seem to be compatible, but the jury is still out. I really wasn't sure that I wasn't doing the whole quilt in batiks until yesterday, when I found my background, a lovely off-white with a light brown/tan all over paisley/flower pattern. That clinched at least some traditional colors and patterns. I will probably applique a couple blocks using a bit of batik and if it isn't going well, I'll take it out. And then, since I had the background and the fabrics... I started with this block.  These pieces have a spot of glue to hold them in place until I get them basted.  I will spend a couple days looking at this too until it seems right.  I know the vase isn't quite centered, that will be taken care of during the appliquing.  And the whole apple stem thing looks like a dragonfly at this stage, so I will probably change the yellow.  In any event, I HAVE FINALLY STARTED and I am THRILLED!

12 comments:

  1. Amazing! Love to tag along and watch your journey! This is truly a "wow" quilt! Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Sue and we're thrilled that you have joined us, enjoy the journey..!!
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastaic!! What a great start! You really don't need to use the same fabric twice. Don't worry how many times you change your colour selection... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great!!!!! oh I love your fabric choices, I think the yellow looks fine!
    LOVE that basket fabric whose fabric is that?
    congrats on starting I need to get back to mine
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, glad you have started. Your fabric choices are just beautiful. The first block is looking good already - Have fun and I will be following you - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue,

    Nice pile of fabrics...I can't wait to see how things progress. I'm excited right along with you!!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue,

    ah - the excitement of starting a new project! Wonderful choices on fabrics and your first block is going to be gorgeous! I love the sparkle of the yellow leaves on the apples! Have fun!

    Greetings from the Rhine!
    Britta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the fun Sue, glad you have joined.

    Happy Stitching,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue
    Great fabrics! This is such a fun quilt. I think making each block is like starting a new project.
    Kay in Arkansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really like your first block. It'll be fun to see your upcoming quilt blocks with that lovely stash of fabrics to choose from. Welcome to this great group, you're going to feel right at home here, and get so much encouragement along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilts....so beautiful. You are truly an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............