Saturday, August 28, 2010

new block...

Hi,

in my last post I said that I was designing my own block. I really liked the idea of a house block and thought, I could try to incorporate my own house. So, I took a picture of my house
and copied it onto the block. since I live only about 200 yards from the river, I incorporated that and since this is the heartland of German wine production, I had to incorporate that as well. Here, I first thought, I would use the grapes off the grape block, but then, I felt they were so out of scale, that I was happy to find a fabric, that allowed for me to cheat... And I combined this with ivy and a heart-in-hand to keep some traditional elements of an album quilt. So, here it is:
Do you think it will match the rest?

Greetings from the Rhine,
Britta

12 comments:

  1. Oh, yes - a lovely idea Britta - wonderful memories!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britta it's lovely, I love making it personal...
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful, I love your grape fabric, a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your house and love your depiction of it on your block. What a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and to make the quilt your own soooo special.
    can't wait to see the blocks together with this one
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Britta, it is wonderful! I love the personal touch. Great block!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippee!! Way to go Britta!! I really love the fact that you did your house on the quilt, and it looks fabulous! I "went rogue" on about half of my blocks and I'm so glad I did...it will be for my daughter and it totally reflects her world. I can't wait to see what you do next1

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Britta, it is just gorgeous. Don't you just love personalizing something and making it your very own? It turned out lovely!

    Cheers,
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you incorporated your own house! but your block would be over-the-top had you built those grapes using needleturn appliqued dots instead of fussy cutting fabric only. You have another block that you needleturned dots to look as berries and doing the same for the grapes would bring cohesiveness from this block to the rest of your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your house block looks great! You have a nice looking house! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes. You made a very charming block showing your very charming house. Even my husband thinks you did a great job. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi everyone,

    it's great to hear that you like my houseblock as much as I do..

    @Thearica,

    my apologies... You may have noticed that the polkadots on the sandstone-colored fabric are also print. I know, by the book I should have needleturned those as well. Maybe next time... ;o) LOL (never...)

    Amused greetings from the Rhine :o)
    Britta

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............