Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My first block

Hi to everyone! I'm Janet from Alberta, Canada. I have been following this blog since it started. After all this time of watching you create these beautiful blocks/quilts I couldn't resist joining in.

I started with the Peahen block #14. I wanted to start with a bird block and I thought this bird looked fairly straight forward. lol! That was before I started appliqueing the feet. It was a fun challenge and I know I will get better at applique as I work on this quilt. I'll have to get better at embroidery too as I've done very little of it.

I thought Cheri had found the perfect fabric for the circles on the tail. As soon as I saw her block 14 I recognized the fabric and knew that I had it and I would use it too. This blog has been such an inspiration and I'm so excited to now be able to contribute to it. I'm starting block #2 next. :0)

12 comments:

  1. your first block looks wonderful,and the feet are just gorgeous,happy stitching ,susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Janet! Your block looks great, that is a really good fabric for circles on the tail. I like the red base fabric he is standing on, is it an embroidered ribbon? Good start, have fun working on the next one.
    Happy Stitching,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your block! Fabrics are really good together (what an interesting bit you used on the pedestal!). Gorgeous greens - nice variety. Very, very nice. Your feet look great...just like nice happy feet on a beautiful dancing bird. Welcome aboard!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet I think your block is gorgeous..you must be very pleased with it. And welcome to our group, the girls here are so welcoming and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first block is very, very nice. Your colors are great. Isn't it fun? Sue
    http://suesjourneys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like everything about your block. From the cool fabric on the base to the variety of greens you used for your leaves (especially the floral ones), to the fabric you used for your pea hen. What a great block. Glad you've joined us. I look forward to seeing more of your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is lovely, your colours and fabrics are so pretty and the base is a great idea.I look foreward to seeing the next block.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely first block,Janet! I especially like the tail cirles. I am pulling fabrics as you are sewing- I begin my own journey in January!!
    I will be watching your progress on your own masterpiece.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, what a great job! I love the little bit of ribbon on the pedestal, or is that fabric. Your buttonhole stitch sure does add some texture to all of those circles. So glad that you have made the plunge and joined us all in this adventure.

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, congratulations on your first block. Love the ribbon pedestal - what a neat idea! And your feet turned out way better than mine did... Excellent job - Great addiction to share....

    Greetings from the Rhine,
    Britta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your first block puts you on your way. I like the circle fabric, and will use that idea when I get to my peacock. Hope to see the next block soon....

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful block and lovely work

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............