Sunday, September 12, 2010

Thanks to the Floods

I can't believe that it has taken me so long to get back to my own hand stitching. I had a quick and prolific start to this quilt and stitched 3 blocks in 3 weeks, then I had so many other commitments and attended 2 quilting retreats etc that I put my own stitching to one side and focused on finishing off donated tops and blocks. I have the next shipment ready to go to Pakistan and as we have been isolated by flood waters for the last week, it was finally time for me to stitch on some of my WIPs. The other reason I brought out my hand stitching again is that I find it so very relaxing when I'm under stress. So far I've finished off blocks 1,4,6 and 8. I made a mistake with this block and made all the flowers the same colour and then realized later that they should be in 3 different colours. Oh well it's a "design decision" and I'll probably make the other similar block with flowers in 3 colours instead of the one as suggested. I think the other thing which impacts on my hand stitching is whether or not I have prepared the applique pieces in advance. Otherwise I take my hand-sewn hexagons or other handwork instead. Now I've started again I must keep going as it also helps to have the momentum of finishing off blocks regularly too. Hope you're all making progress and I'll try to report back with my next block soon. Hugs Jan Mac Aussie

4 comments:

  1. Well done, they are lovely, I am full of admiration for all you ladies and your needleturn. Poor you with the flood, I hope the water has gone down now,its horrible watching the water level rise and wondering when it will stop. Ann in N.Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on getting back to your hand stitching. These blocks are looking so nice, really beautiful. That vase fabric is an excellent choice...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice block...I think I made my flowers on this block all the same color (maybe different fabrics...). Yours are beauiful and congrats on getting through all the leaves!! Your blocks are looking very nice all together.

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! The blocks look so pretty all together. Glad you could get back to your hand work - so relaxing.
    Kay in Arkansas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............