Thursday, September 30, 2010

Update on thimbles

Hi,

I just want to share a link for those of you who, like me, tend to punch holes into their right hand middle finger when appliquéing. I found on Etsy a great thin silicone thimble from Amy Abatangle:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/42868565/set-of-3-silicone-thimbles-for-crochet

It is really soft yet protects your finger wonderfully. You are not hindered in your movements as with many stiff thimbles and hardly feel it. Unfortunately, it comes only in one size, which for my Prussian finger is a little tight. But I will experiment with small incisions to give it a little more width and those of you with beautifully thin fingers should have no problems at all. I can only highly recommend it.

If anyone has suggestions for like products that come in different sizes, I'd much appreciate it. For example, I saw on the internet a baby toothbrush made of silicone, which is just a silicone finger (like snapped off from a glove) the mom puts over her index finger and gently massages the baby's gums with. I'll try to get one of those and report on my success with this tool....

Greetings from the Rhine,
Britta

P.S. I found another silicone thimble on the net. It is made by a French company called Bohin and the name is "doigtiers aggripants" or "finger cots for quilting." These come in different sizes. I ordered the large ones and they're perfect. Very soft, yet protective for hand appliqué. One may even take out a pre-perforated wedgie on top for long nails...
So - I'm happy and I won't experiment with the baby toothbrush...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............