Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Getting started is not as easy as I thought

Hi CW Brides, Now that my broken foot is on the mend I've been upstairs in my sewingroom getting started on this quilt. It's not as easy as I thought. I've got to trace the pattern and then comes the daunting task of deciding which fabric to use where. Too many choices and being a Libra (we have difficulties making any type of descision, and I'm a true Libra), makes this task even more difficult. I've almost chosen the fabrics and then I have to iron on my wonder-under, cut it all out and finally iron it on my background fabric and then I can START. I don't do traditional applique I cross stitch the pieces, since I'm a cross stitcher. I could use the blanket stitch but I like the cross stitch variation. Here"s a photo of a block of the Florabunda BOM that I stitched. I used varigated thread, I like the effect. I've got to go, have to iron the wonder under! Lorene

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lorene, I am glad to hear you are on the mend with that broken foot. You have a very interesting technique of applique, I don't think I have ever seen it, but the example you showed is very pretty. The nice thing about using the fusible is that you get to see how the block will look with the choosen fabrics and if you do not like a particular fabric you can just heat it up with the iron and remove it. So... jump on in, choose a first block and let us see what you are up to.
    Happy Cross Stitching :)
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. your work is beautiful. The cross stich is going to be great on this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cross stitch look, very clever indeed and so perfect for this.~Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. How original! I've never seen applique done this way, but I think it looks WAY cool! What a great way to make this quilt your own...using a technique you know and love! I'm a Sagitarius, but I also have trouble choosing fabrics...LOL!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............