Saturday, January 29, 2011

Block 6

I really did not look forward to doing this block. It was so similar to block 2 and I thought it was a rather boring block. But as I was trimming it this evening I realized it is a nice block, so full of applique. I really liked the dark red and green buds. I saved it to last and it was a good finish for the blocks. I have been rearranging blocks on my pin up wall for a couple weeks now. I kind of like this layout with blocks 4 and 6 switched. I like the bride surrounded with the two similar blocks and I kind of like that bird flying up. Sorry about the lighting on the picture, it is late, there is a reflection from a mirror on the opposite wall on the BOP block and the two below it.
Any observations about this lay out are welcome, maybe swap blocks 2 and 4 so the blue flowers in 4 and 5 are not so close? It is all fun.
YEA, my blocks are finished!
I am starting on the borders!
Happy Stitching,
Cheri

5 comments:

  1. Cheri, your blocks look great. You should not worry about the two blocks with the blue flowers together. I just really like it this way, all the leaves and flowers are a sort of jungle anyway so one block overgrows the other. The blue flows to the other block. The only thing I perhaps would consider to move is the strawberry block. The way it catches the light maybe it would look better more central. I know it will be like a domino-effect if you move one block .... Can't wait to see your quilt including the borders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Cheri! What an accomplishment! Your blocks are so gorgeous!!! I like your block 6 - especially the blue flowers. :0) If you're asking for thoughts on your block arrangement - I noticed the strawberry block too - it reads a bit lighter than some of the other blocks. I think Ineke's idea of trying a more central spot for it is worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt looks lovely Cheri. I like how you put the white edging on the tablecloth.

    I agree that your strawberry block reads a bit light.

    How hard would it be to try and maybe replace a couple of the lighter green leaves with something a bit darker. Then the placement would be great...just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...how did I miss your finish!! We should have a party! With 3 finished quilts on this site, this makes you number 4, right!!! OUTSTANDING accomplishment! I had my quilt posse help me with the placement. Every time they wanted to change the arrangement, I took a digital picture so I wouldn't forget them. We put them up on a wall and moved them around constantly. It is impossible not not have 2 with similar colors together. It helped me to squint with my eyes almost closed to determine if the quilt was balanced. It just has to please YOU! I love, love, LOVE this!!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the look of your quilt...absolutely wonderful

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............