Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hello From Santa Monica, CA

Hi, my name is Mari Linfesty. I live in Santa Monica, CA. I have been following the Civil War Bride Quilt blog for ages. I bought the pattern last year and have been trying to find time to start the first block. I recently went on a cruise with my mom and was able to complete block 11. The single bird with the nest. I had so much fun. I will post a photo after I take one. I have been quilting since my 18th birthday, I learned how to quilt from Mary Ellen Hopkins who wrote the series of It's Okay to Sit on My Quilt books. She was the best person to learn how to quilt from. Absolutely dynamic woman. I make many different styles of quilts but lately I have been making Story Quilts based on Mary Lou Weidmans style of quilting. She too is a great person to take classes from, don't miss a chance if she ever comes to your neighborhood. I am married to a great guy who encourages my quilting obsession.(I encourage his muscle car obsession.) We have two sons, Jake 12 1/2 and Nick 11. I was an elementary school teacher for years before I had my boys and currently am a stay at home mom and chauffeur. Both of my boys sew when the desire hits them and I love having them in my sewing room. I am currently working on getting all the pieces together to start my next block which will be block #6. I am trying to do one easy block and then one leaf block. There are a lot of leaves on block #6! I look forward to sharing my progress with all of you. I do have to say though, I cannot believe how gorgeous your blocks are turning out. I hope that I can do the same with mine.

4 comments:

  1. Mari,

    How nice to run into you in blogland!

    Can't wait to see what your blocks look like and the colour choices you've made.

    Your applique skills are great, glad to see you challenging yourself with this quilt.

    Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome again Mari, can't wait to see your blocks..
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mari,
    Welcome to the CWBQ addicts group! I'm sure you'll feel right at home here. Can't wait to see what your block looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone. I belong to the Newtonia Civil War Quilters Guild in Newtonia, Missouri. There was a big battle fought here and up in Carthage. We have a lot of history and we work with the historical society in depicting civil war life in the relm of what women did as far as sewing quilting etc. I came across your blog and found it very fun and hope to keep up with the lastest. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............