Sunday, February 20, 2011

My first block!

I am doing the blocks in order and just completed number 10. Today I trimmed them all to size and was really nervous about that! What I decided to do was to make a template out of freezer paper cut to size with the 1/4" seam allowance drawn around it. I was able to press it down to each block and was able to see that everything fit within that area. Then I used my ruler to cut. They all came out great. My plan is to go ahead and sew the first 10 together....Can't wait til I get to 20. I am posting block one. I took all the pictures before I trimmed so they are not cut to size in the pictures.

7 comments:

  1. Love the colours and what a great idea to have a template that you can *attach* to each block before you cut, I'll have to remember that one ...
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I am also going to remember to use your idea for sizing finished blocks! GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fabric you used for the urn. Good job stitching the block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks really nice.. I think its a great ideia to sew together the 1st 10. I'll do the same even thoough I am not doing in any particular order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane, the block is very pretty. Love the idea for squaring up the block. It is very scary to put rotary cutter to a block that has so many hours into it.

    Happy Stitching,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane,
    This a great block. I like the variety of blues in the one block- they work well together. I can't wait to see the other blocks. Make certain to post a photo of them ten when you get them together!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just received my Civil War Bride Pattern in the mail today!!! Yippee...now waiting for my background fabric that I am thinking of using. I am excited!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............