Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Closer and Closer

I am working on my last border, trying to get the owls right-do you think they need bigger eyes? I embroidered a long and short stitches around the face to kind of give a feathered look, hmmm, they are still a work in progress.
I finally decided on a block arrangement thanks to all of your good advice. I also changed out a few leaves on the strawberry block (added some darker ones) so it would not seem so light compared to the other blocks. This weekend I sewed the whole thing together with the first three borders. There is a little space above the two bluebirds on the the top border that I think I will quilt in a scroll/feather pattern and my initials and the year.
The borders got really stretched out of shape as I worked on them. I was kind of worried about trimming them down to their correct size so I cut out a strip of freezer paper the size the borders were supposed to be trimmed down to and ironed it onto the completed border before I trimmed them. This worked pretty good but I am not sure how straight of grain they are and I hope I do not have wavy borders when I start quilting. Maybe I need to stay stitch the whole edge of the top before I quilt?
Well hopefully by the beginning of April I will post a completed top and some quilting pictures. YEA! WOO HOO!! YIPPEEEEE!!! (Can you tell I am happy I am getting close to finished)
Happy Stitching,
Cheri

11 comments:

  1. Your quilt is stunning! This journey is such a joy for me- and seeing those near completion makes me smile at the thought of one day having my own hanging for all to enjoy. I so love your little owls- we are owl crazy in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheri, I just love your quilt top! You are almost finished! For me it will probably take another ten years. I am still working on block #6. Bigger eyes? I don't think so, they look like a good size. They just need a little definition. How about two threads of black dmc or chocolate stitched in a stem stitch around them? I think it would really make them pop. Owls do have a dark line around their eyes.
    Anything you choose will look great.Thanks ever so much for posting...it keeps the rest of us on track and gives us a little nudge. If you can do it, so can we.

    Cheers,
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri, the top looks fantastic, love the sheep, I have gone a bit back in time to read the stories with your blocks. Every quilt is a journey.
    The owls look terrific. Hope you meet your deadline, keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your owls are so cute Cheri! I like the stitching you've done around the faces. Your top looks wonderful - you are SO close to being done! I love your idea for quilting your initials and the year onto the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheri,
    I love the owls! I like Bobbie's idea about outlining the eyes with a darker floss - I would go with the brown floss as the birds are primarily brown.

    I am inspired by your top. I still have 5 blocks to go (I'm not even thinking about the borders yaet) and it is wonderful to see someone getting close to finishing. It reminds me that completing this top is possible! I may steal your idea of putting your initals and date on the quilt.

    My sister uses a very thin ribbon to help keep edges straight. She measures it to the size the edge should be; and then measures middle and quarter marks of both the border edge and the ribbon; and matches them up and pins them together. She then sews the ribbon to the border edge, easing in the fabric as needed. The binding covers the ribbon once the quilt is done and the edge with not stretch do to the ribbon. You can use anything that would hold a straight grain... she has also used some fabric tapes she found that are on the straight of grain. then if you block your quilt, the edges are all set for you.

    Can't wait to see your finished top in April!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. How inspiring you are! Your top looks so fantastic! I know you are getting so excited to begin quilting. I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy oh boy, here we go!! You are so darn close! How exciting for you, and for the rest of us. I really like your block arrangement - very balanced and harmonious. Isn't it sweet when you can see the finish line??

    Lovely, just lovely!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the owls. I think the eyes are perfect.
    Textilediva.Blogspt.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Your work is absolutely beautiful. I have the pattern and hoping to open it once I retire (whenever that may be). Your quilt top is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your top is simply beautiful you must be so pleased with it, [I love your owls]and it is an incentive to the rest of us to see one more near completion, thank you. Ann in N.Z.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank You all for your lovely comments. Judy I will definately try your sister's method of sewing a ribbon on the border edges, thanks for the great explanation.
    Happy Stitching,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............