Saturday, June 25, 2011

My blocks are done!!

Well, I finsihed the last of my blocks, modifing the bird into a cardinal - one of my favorite birds. Yeah!!! Happy dance!!
The next step was putting the blocks on my design wall and seeing who wanted to go where. I decided not to put the bride and groom side-by-side. I liked the bride above the groom arrangement better ... maybe something about women over men? Only joking. I think it had more to do with empty space. Most of these blocks are VERY full of things. With a handful of them having more open spaces. It seemed to off-balance the quilt when they were too close together. Then there was the butterflies and leaves that reached over into the neighboring blocks to consider. I didn't want to hide one block element for another one from the adjoining block. I thought about 3A being in the 4A position but 3A has leaves that hang over and that didn't seem quite right Hannibal's block. Same with 3B and that butterfly. Yada-yada-yada ......so this is what I came up with at last.
Then I did the "glasses off" test which then blurs the wall and things looked okay to me. But now, I send it out to everyone for their comments, suggestions and input about placement.
Now it's on to the borders .... and more leaves ....
Judy in super hot and dry Oklahoma

11 comments:

  1. hi judy,congratulations to this fantastic finish,happy stitching,susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! I like the lay out your have, it looks wonderful. I am doing a little happy dance here in Nebraska for you. The borders go pretty fast, I think it is the momentum of having the blocks finished.
    Happy Stitching,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks look amazing!! Congratulations! I look forward to seeing your borders as you work on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, WOW! Judy, this is just fantastic! And, so inspirational! (I'm on my 5th block.) Congratulations! We are all jealous of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fabulous Judye, love the placement, it's just right..
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judye, Love your color selection and your layout! How exciting to have all your blocks done. I am working on block 18 now and have 19 and 20 to go.

    Question: What technique did you use for the fringe on the tablecloth? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the blocks how you have them, they look very well balanced,it is beautiful, congratulations.From cold and wintery Gisborne N.Z.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Judye,
    Great job on the blocks. The end is near. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your comments. It is always good and encouraging to hear all the wonderful things that my fellow CWBer's have to say. It helps me get the momentum back up for the borders.

    Texas Jane... I used loose embroidery stitches in a color that reminded me of old lace and linen. (I tried the stitch recommended by the pattern and I didn't like it.) I ran a statin stitch along the bottom edge, loose and not really full; then I ran a back stitch over the edge of the statin stitches that touched the table cloth fabric. Hope that helps.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your layout, it looks very well balanced. I also always take my glasses of when looking at a quilt, by doing so you immediately spot the odd one out. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Judye, your quilt looks amazing. I think the layout is just right. You've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............