Monday, June 4, 2012

Here is my first block on my Civil War Bride journey.  I am choosing to try to do a folk art quilt therefore I have some wonky (AKA plaid) leaves.  Some leaves are also batik along with printed fabrics.  The cherries are made with cherry red ultra suede to add a different texture to the quilt---every so slightly.  It also helps make ROUND little shapes.  The buds are folded to make 3-D rose buds.  I embroidered a white flower in her hair to make her a true bride.  I was pleased to find the tiny cherry print I used in her bloomers.  :)  My applique skills need some honing....but I am sure can only hope to improve with each block on this adventure.

5 comments:

  1. Well you have jumped right in and are making it your own. I do think your rounds, buds and plaids are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bride is lovely! I look forward to seeing more of your blocks :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block looks lovely. It's a labour of love working on this quilt but it's worth it. It's great that you are also doing your own thing such a folded fabric flowers and embroidery, that's what it make it unique. I have done 16 blocks and I am still enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful 1st block, like the flower in her hair. Yea ultrasuede, after the first one (ostriches I believe) all of my bird feet were ultrasuede.
    Happy Stitching

    ReplyDelete
  5. she looks fabulous! i love your added touches with the different textures of fabric. Great way to start

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............