Thursday, September 27, 2012

3 new blocks and confederate groom added!!!!


I just posted the last three blocks I have finished.  I just can't state enough how much I love working on this quilt.  I am continuing to try to make it in the folk art style and to add a few elements to make it my own.  I am a beginner appliquer so any suggestions or advice is so welcomed.
First, I did the pear block, block 8.  Having lived in a pear orchard I wanted both brown and yellow pears.  From a suggestion from a friend, I did the strawberry tops, grapes and cherries from ultra suede to aid in their shapes and to add a dimension of depth to each piece.
Block 10 was one of my favorites and I couldn't wait to do it.  Again, the tops are ultra suede.  I used various plaid pieces to try to show the various stages of ripeness.  I did struggle with leaving the tops pointed upward instead of downward as seemed more natural.  I made the decision to keep it more like the original for design balance.
I REALLY REALLY wanted a groom and decided he had to be from my favorite movie GONE WITH THE WIND.  I also wanted a mansion and decided to put both in one square instead of having to make the awful decision of leaving out two beautiful blocks!!!!!  I think he will replace block 3, the white flowers and then be next to his bride.
I searched and searched confederate uniforms and images until I found one I thought workable and then sketched him from that.  I did the same with mansions.  The original sketch doesn't have the mansion dormers on it which were suggested by my husband as an afterthought to make it look larger.  I tried to incorporate the plaid I chose for the house with columns for the same reason. The second floor balcony is a striped fabric I had and I embroidered the rail.  I haven't decided to add the foliage around the house ....or to just embroider vines up the columns....or to just leave the piece as it is.  Suggestions?????
My groom has an ultrasuede beard/hair piece but embroidered moustache and "chipmunk" beard to connect the two.  The insignia on the hat is embroidered.  I really wanted a yellow lab but he just didn't show up like a chocolate one....and black was too stark.  The sword sheath is just a black piece of bias I made with ultrasuede handle and top.
I hope you all enjoy seeing the blocks as much as I study and enjoy the others members post.





6 comments:

  1. Wow! What an incredible groom block - it's wonderful! I've been designing a few blocks to personalize my quilt and I'm finding it HARD to get the proportions right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I especially like your groom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your groom block! I grew up in Alabama, and when I did my groom, it never even occurred to me to do a Confederate soldier. I look back at the time I spent making this quilt...the best quilt journey I've ever been on. It was so fun to have this blog to come and post blocks on and see everyone elses. Susi, from Germany, and I were the first to finish (our quilts are in the "finished" section of this blog). Remembering how fun it was to change half of my blocks in this project, I've designed my own project now to try and recapture that "journey joy." I look forward to seeing more of your blocks! I've been unable to leave comments on this site for a while, and for some reason, today it is working! Yahoo!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)
    www.fabrictherapy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Teresa for taking the time to comment on my blocks. I went to look at your site and was BLOWN AWAY. Your applique is superb...and your organization over the top. :) Love, love it. I don't know where to find pix of your finished quilt. Did you do anything original in the borders? I really want to do more there....perhaps that is where I can put a cake etc. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea and especially beautiful groom block! I am sort of planning (so far only in my head) to do an applique quilt on American history and this confederate soldier is absolutely inspiring! Great job! Can't wait to see what else you'll do and come up with!

    Greetings from the Rhine,
    Britta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love your Confederate soldier block.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone that is following our journey with the Civil War Bride Quilt. We love to read your comments and appreciate your encouragement...............