Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The time is accelerating till the end of the year,
and I try to get my first 12 blocks ready before the end of December ...
(1 month - 1 block):
SO here are my 8th, 9th and 10th blocks :

For this last one,
I did the strawberries' stems using embroidery ...
as I saw many of you  had troubles to have the stems straight enough.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Quilting conundrum

Now, I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but quilting has been on my mind.  Despite my first attempt at quilt as you go turning into Quilt As You Fail, I am toying with the idea of trying it.

I'm a little scared about quilting the pieced top as it looks terribly fiddly.  However Quilt As You Fail is burned into my psyche (and the offending result is a cautionary tale for quilters everywhere).

I experimented on this block to see how fiddly it would be. 

Last time I found QAYF great for the blocks but it all fell apart (pun intended) at the block joining stage.

I wondered if anyone else has tried QAYG for this quilt or has tips on how to quilt the pieced top without resorting to a Valium/white wine based diet?

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Simple, but challenging!

This strawberry block was both really simple, and really challenging!
The stems and strawberries were the really simple part.

The tops of the strawberries were another story!  A little challenging!

Here is the block finished.
And here are all my blocks so far!

Keep stitching,

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Big hand syndrome, elephant block

I'm feeling a little sorry for my bride as the only chap in town seems to have giant hands syndrome and is living in a surreal wonderland.  No wonder I have not been able to find her. She has probably legged it. As a wise old lady said to me once,

""Why would any sensible woman put beans up her nose twice?"

You wouldn't think my worst vice is a G&T if I go out for dinner (so they're few and far between) as I'm starting to think this looks a little magic mushroomy.

I had trouble on this block with the horses, the legs just seemed to be too close together to get a decent amount for needleturn. I had a couple of attempts. The first ended up with anorexic legs that didn't look like a horse at all.

The second had a John Wayne leg thing going on, something serious was medically wrong with it.

I asked a graphic designer friend to find me a horse outline that was similar that I managed to tweak. And lo, there were two yellow polka dot horses to add to the block.

Artists often use mirrors to look at their work as it gives them a different perspective, almost like looking at another painter's work. I'm starting to realise that the camera works in a similar way. Looking at the photos here, I see all sorts of things that aren't evident to me in the flesh.

One of the horses looks a bit wolfish and the pink elephant seems to be charging his trainer. Quite why the wolf & horse are up on a wonky Ikea shelf above them is harder to explain.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Hello - thank you for having me


I've been following the blog for ages, in fact it's how I found out about the original quilt and got the bug to make one. 

Mine is a little different - if we were kind we would say its influenced by Eastern European folk art - if we were more truthful - shows a complete lack of planning or colour scheme.

Anyhow, here's one of the blocks I've made up - I call this one Prancing Ostriches.  Somehow I managed to shift their leg position and these birds have attitude.

Thank you for letting me share my CWB experience with you.


Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Finally finished all the 20 blocks !

It has taken me nearly 2 years to get to this stage but it has been worth it.
Check out my blog for this journey and many other projects.

Monday, November 5, 2012

I tried to achieve the twelve first blocks finished before the end of the year,
therefore you will see me a lot before end of December ...
As I show you the  block n°7 :
29 octobre 2012 065_edited
Do not look precisely at the feet of the birds ...
I think I will put them away and embroid them afterwards ...
This was the difficulty of this 7th block.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Block 18 and 19

These blocks are my own design as I wanted to have a groom and a house.
Check out my blog for more pictures http://quiltingbycelia.blogspot.com.au