Monday, October 28, 2013

Next Row Finished

I finished the next row and have started on the next block...also I have all the blocks cut out and parts of the borders cut and  ready to applique.  I have fabrics piled in color groups all over my sewing room and I'm ready to put it all away.   I'm doing this close to the original quilt with few changes.  Also doing each block in a different reproduction shirting background and the borders will be pieced out of these shirtings fabrics. 

I would like to clarify about cutting out the backs of the blocks.  Since I will be hand quilting this quilt I like to remove the extra layer of fabric from the back (see picture) of the larger pieces if I think I might be quilting on top of it.  My stitches are much smaller if I do this time consuming process. 

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Stitching in the Sun!

I have been busy getting the top and bottom borders ready to stitch.  Hubby and I are going on a little holiday in the sunny south.  I like to take my applique with me wherever I go.  Heaven forbid I have nothing to do while on vacation!

Simple Bird Applique

Saturday, October 19, 2013

last block

I finished my final block last night.  This block pictures my son with his fishing rod, a couple of fish and a pear tree.  I have include all of my family members in my quilt - adapting the blocks from the pattern sometimes a little or sometimes a lot.
 Here are all the blocks laid out together.  I will finish the embroidery on them before I start on the borders.
What a fun project this continues to be  :0)

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Extra Vase Block

I decided that what I wanted was a vase in each corner of my quilt so I made this additional vase block.

Now on to my 16th block.  Still having fun!

Sunday, October 13, 2013

I'm back to sewing on CWB

I have been sewing with a vengance, I got blocks #6-8 done in the last 2 weeks.  I am doing my blocks in the order of the original quilt.  The strawberry block is cut out and the ostrich block has 7 more pieces to be sewed.  Today
I sized the 8 blocks and sewed them together and also cut out parts of the back so I can hand quilt on some of the pieces.  I had 4 blocks together and when I folded them I noticed that seams didn't match, I forgot to size them so out came the seam ripper and done it right...It has been over a year since I 've worked on this quilt as I put it away to work on Roseville Album quilt...this is my year to get things finished.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Second Border On!

I finished stitching the second border of my Civil War Bride Quilt.  I am beginning to see a finished quilt at the end of the tunnel!

Here are a few close-up photos.

Keep stitching...
Simple Bird Applique

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Block #15 - Red Wing Blackbirds

I finished Block #15, the Red Wing Blackbirds today.

I don't know why I set this quilt down to work on other things - I'm enjoying working on it so much.

Friday, October 4, 2013

Auditioning Flowers and Butterflies

I have finished one of the borders on Civil War Bride and I am excited to get working on the second one.  I am auditioning flowers, birds and butterflies.  So far, so good!

Keep stitching!

Simple Bird Applique

Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Groom for my Bride

I've been working on several other quilting projects but feel like I've been neglecting my CWB quilt. I've decided to re-dedicate my efforts to complete the remaining blocks. Here's my latest - a groom for my bride.